Friday, September 7, 2012

The Beauty of Goodbye

This week pick of best poems to love happens to be "When We Two Are Parted"  published in 1808 by an acclaimed romantic period poet, Lord Byron. What clutches my appreciation for this poem is for the form that Byron uses in this poem as a lyric style. Byron uses his hurt and pain to create a beautiful poem that can allow other’s to relate to a time when someone had their heart broken.
In reality this poem can illustrate the truth about what love really can become. Love isn’t child’s play but when treated as play it can produce fear and pain within a heart. “In secret we met—in silence I grieve” Explains how he finally realizes how wrong his love. Reason being was that he seeing each other in secret was him allowing his love to become a game and resulting in the ill fate of despair for himself.
Not only does this poem illustrate the truth of what love can become, but demonstrates a person so ingrained into a relationship that doesn’t want to admit that their loved one might not have the same feelings anymore. “The dew of the morning sank chill on my brow. It felt like the warning of what I feel now.” Bryon’s failure to admit to himself that he knew that his loved one did not love him anymore indicates the reality of a relationship departing. This line really made me questions how love could become blinding and maybe I had become blinded once.
One line that I like the most is:
“A shudder comes o’er me - - Why wert thou so dear?”
This line really catches my attention the most and had me repeatedly reading the line over and over. Then I realized that I not only repeated this line, but this helped me recall a moment in my memory that I had once repeatedly asked myself once. Then it finally hit that love is so strong that it has even myself lose a tender side of myself and help me see a new matureness I’ve never realized I had.

No comments:

Post a Comment