Thursday, October 11, 2012

Why I love Pablo Neruda's "If You Forget Me"

               "If You Forget Me", by Pablo Neruda, was published in 1952 as part of "The Captain's Verse". "The Captain's Verse" is a collection of love poems that were addressed to Neruda's lover. I love this poem because of how realistic and also emotional it is. The poem is about a man and his love for a woman, yet this is not an unconditional love. The speaker in the poem, which we can assume are the thoughts of Neruda himself, informs his love that if she were to stop loving him then he would have to do the same. Many of the poems I have read speak about an everlasting love, a love that will prevail no matter what, and this is a bit unrealistic. I appreciate the honesty that Neruda shows by promising to move on if that is what he must do

                The poem begins with a short stanza of only two lines that appear conversational, "I want you to know / one thing." (1-2). It automatically makes me feel more comfortable with the poet, like he is not only talking to his lover but to me too. It is also evident at the beginning of the poem that there is no noticeable rhyme scheme, it can be considered free verse.

                In the second stanza imagery is used to paint a picture for the readers, "at the crystal moon, at the red branch / at the slow autumn at my window" (5-6). This allows us to  imagine these things the speaker is talking about, we can almost close our eyes and envision them. Symbolism is additionally used in this particular stanza to elicit  response, "as if everything that exists / aromas, light, metals / were little boats that sail" (12-14). This enriches the statement by alluding, or coming at it from a different angle. All of these details are used in the poem to express the love the speaker has for this woman.

                The third stanza introduces the fact that the speaker will not love her if she begins to stop loving him. It introduces the reality I am so fond of in this poem. This reality continues in the fourth stanza, "If suddenly / you forget me / do not look for me" (20-22). I thought this was very honest and powerful. The sixth and final stanza include more literary devices to strengthen the poem, one being personification. The speaker uses personification to give an object human traits and add drama, "if each day a flower / climbs up to your lips to seek me" (41-42). These lines are referring to her realizes that she wants him, and the reference of a flower is indicating her earlier mentioned sweetness. The very next line is an example of hyperbole, "ah my love, ah my own" (43). The hyperbole is another tool to evoke emotion in the reader. The end of the poem sums up the speakers feelings by allowing his love to know that he will always love her, as long as she loves him. I thought that ending the poem on this note, without a trace of bitterness, allowed for a passionate conclusion. This poem made me feel curious about what happened next to these lovers, this topic of love is certainly a connection that we can all make.

http://www.poemhunter.com/best-poems/pablo-neruda/if-you-forget-me/




No comments:

Post a Comment