Friday, September 7, 2012

Why I love The Ruined Maid by Thomas Hardy

Thomas Hardy's, "The Ruined Maid" was first published in 1901. The first time I read through the poem, I immediately fell in love with it for the questions it raises about women's social rank, morality, and sexuality. The poem begins with a farm maid meeting Melia in town. Melia is admired by the farm maid for her "fair garments" and "prosperity," but Melia has been "ruined." "Ruined," in this case, means that Melia sells herself as a prostitute. As the poem continues, it is revealed that Melia was once a farm maid as well, but could not handle the work and became unhappy. By "ruining" herself, she now lives a life with elegant dresses, jewelry, and feathers. Most of all, she lives happily with her new social status, "One's pretty lively when ruined."

 The word "ruin" is the central focus of the poem and what it means to be "ruined." If a woman is "ruined," no man could possibly want to marry that woman. To be "ruined" would mean that a woman's life is worthless and destroyed. Instead, Melia does nothing but enjoy her newly attained status and lifestyle. So much even that the farm maid envies Melia and her status, "I wish I had feathers, afine sweeping gown, And a delicate face, and could strut about Town." Melia has freed herself from the social constraints holding the farm maid in place. In England, at that time period, I don't believe Melia could have freed herself by any other means other than using her body.

Women have come a long way since 1900, but women are still judged socially by a different set of rules as women and that is why I truly love this poem. It is still relevant today, and is both a thought provoking and sexy poem. As a man, I am able to sleep with three different women this weekend and not only will I not be judged, I will also be applauded by other men as if these women were just objects at my disposal. Reversing the scenario to one woman with three different men in a weekend, and she will be judged harshly. She will be "ruined" and men will not want to marry that type of girl. I guess that's supposed to be a bad thing. Melia has freed herself from social constraints using her sexuality. By ignoring the expectations forced upon her by a male dominated society, she enjoys a dominance over them. It seems to me there needs to be a few more "ruined" women in this world. 

http://www.poetry-archive.com/h/the_ruined_maid.html

No comments:

Post a Comment